Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Drywall, Gypsum Wall Board; Its Not All The Same!

So there are four large players in the North American Drywall market.  They are National Gypsum, Georgia Pacific, USG, and Lafarge.  Now you may be saying wait are you talking about Sheetrock?  Well yes but that is a trade mark name and there in lies the confusion.

National Gypsum calls their drywall Gold Bond NOT to be confused with "gold board" a misnomer for the yellow colored board produced under the name DensGlass by Georgia Pacific.

Georgia Pacific calls their drywall ToughRock.

USG produces drywall under the name Sheetrock

Lafarge calls their drywall.. wait for it.. drywall no special brand name must be because they are Canadian.

All these companies also produce FireRated Gypsum Board under special names.. Fire-shield, Fireguard, Firecode, and Firecheck.

They all also produce moisture/mold resistant panels, the paper on these is usually colored green, blue or purple depending on brand.

They all also produce a glass fiber mat covered board for exterior sheeting usually used as a backer for an EIFS or other veneer or weather barrier system.  Georgia Pacific originated the product under the Densglass name.  Nat Gyp calls it e2xp sor extended exposure. USG produces is under the sheetrock name as Securock it is bright green.  Lafarge call is Weather Defense and it is grey in color.  CertainTeed also makes exterior Gypsum sheeting under the names Proroc and Glasroc.

Okay now I had a contractor I had just paid an extra 4 grand to install Densglass.  instead I get a purple mold resistant drywall.  He insisted it was the same saying its Gold Bond its the same as Densglass.  Number one Gold Bond sounds nothing like Densglass and I paid for that specific product.  Number two I don't really care what the color or the name of the product is what I want is a glass fiber mat covered gypsum board.  He says well its better that what we were going to originally put.  So!  Its not as good as what I fucking paid for!  He still insisted it was the same quality the next day.. Un-fucking believable that a GC doesn't know the different kinds of Gypsum Board available.


NOT GLASS MAT FACED!!!  NOT DENSGLASS!!!

Needless to say he will be even more confused when it comes to to all the variants of cement board or tile backed board.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I’m so lucky today that I was able to read your post which gives me a lot of ideas that I’ve been looking for. With this, I can use it to my site…I hope to read more of your future post. Thanks a lot.

    Drywall Contractors Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gypsum Board
    Thanks for sharing, Hope this helps many! Keep sharing....

    ReplyDelete